Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pre-K lottery

I don't know about anyone else, but my state does a Pre-K lottery.  You have to register for the lottery and then children are chosen at random for the drawing.  It isn't first come, first served or anything like that....and if you are in my situation where you are in the process of moving between counties you are completely screwed.  Because in order to register your child you have to have EITHER a power bill or a gas bill with the address in that school's area and it HAS to be in the child's legal parent/guardian's name.  We are moving from McDuffie county to Columbia county, but by the time we get our land surveyed and get a 911 address and get the land cleared and our home there and set up to be able to get a power bill in our names the registration period will be closed.  My son has a December birthday, so he's already having to start school a year late because of his birthday and now this stupid crap.  They won't let me register him until I have this stupid bill, but I can't get a bill until I have a freaking house. How retarded is that?! I have proof that I am having a house placed in their school area and everything,f but can't get a power bill because there is no house there to hook power up to.  That just doesn't make any since to me.  So my child will probably have to go another year without being in school, by which time he will be too old for Pre-K and will have to start school behind everyone else in regular Kindergarten.  My sister-in-law said getting her kids into Pre-K was much easier before the drawing started because of "No Child Left Behind"  seems to me like the no child left behind is making it easier to have children left behind.  Because even for those that are able to get their children registered before the end of the registrations period are NOT guaranteed a spot for their child.  Leaving more children behind.

This is my little man, Zachary.  His birthday is Dec. 3rd.  He's four and will be 5 this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment